Thursday, September 24, 2009

Paw Prints.

The past few days have been pretty wild, and different. I would say I am I pretty straight-laced kind of person. I'm not spontaneous by no means...I have to have a plan of action or it drives me crazy, and you get a regular ol' freak out session. Yesterday I did something totally out of my realm. Something that looking back, was pretty stupid. But, I was blessed in more ways that one. If anyone knows me, they could very easily see that I am a dog lover. I "ooh and awwww" at just about any breed. Lately, I have brought up to the husband of how bad I wanted a playmate for Kaci. A second dog that could keep her company when she's here during the day and what not. Browsing through Craigslist, I decide to check out the lost and found. There I find a listing for "Small Lap Dog Found". I contact the lady and converse back and forth throughout the day on details of what had happened. She stated that she had found this small dog on the side of the road, took him in, but unfortunately had to leave to go out of town and could not keep him. She didn't want to take him to the shelter because they would put him down. She said she had taken him to the vet, and every thing looked to be fine other than being malnourished. So, from then on, a soft spot formed for this little puppy. I meet her after work at the Chic-Fa-Let in Rivergate and pick up the pitiful little puppy. He was skin and bones, and pretty much looking like he could die any second. Very lethargic, and zoned out. I immediately take him to a local vet, and there they say that he is approximately 8 yrs old (determining my looking at his teeth), he has a faint heart murmur, he's malnourished, still intact (not neutered), and on top of that, needing to be vaccinated. There I am in tears sitting in the vets office. My heart was crushed thinkin' what this poor little guy had been through. The whole evening, my head is spinning. None of the shelters were open considering it was after hours. The animal control would not take him in because I pretty much took him in my own care, so now he was considered my own pet. I never thought before picking this little guy up, what I would do with having Kaci. I couldn't have him near her, just in case he had some strange things going on. Instead, I called my FIL, and he gave us a wire cage to put on the back deck. The whole night, all I heard was it crying...was he crying because he was starving? Probably. Was he crying because he wanted some love and attention? No doubt. This morning I woke up with a headache from hell, pretty much. I called every no-kill shelter known to man in this area. Unfortunately, since there are only very few around here, there were atleast 3 mth waiting lists. Praise God, Mike got off work early and was able to come home and do some research. Praise God, he found a shelter in Franklin. They told him to bring the little guy in, and they would see what they could do. They welcomed him with loving arms, and placed "Buddy" in a foster home they use. I now know that this little guy came in my life for a reason. He was taken off the streets, where God only knows what could happen and placed in a home where all he would receive was love and care. This little guy made me realize just how lucky I am to have a sweet, healthy puppy waiting for me to play. I know animals are animals...but they have souls too. Let's just say, Buddy left paw prints on not only my heart, but my husbands heart too.



This was taken right before Mike gave him away. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment