Thursday, July 30, 2009

True Confessions of a Shopaholic

I think you can already detect what this post is about just by looking at the title. I have an addiction. I laugh about it to myself because it's amazing to see just how different I feel when I have bought something. I love the high I get when finding a great deal on a particular item or items. My husband jokingly calls me "the Swiper" because supposedly I love swiping my Debit Card. But honestly, I don't care what kind of money it is...cash, card or check...I love it.

My newest addiction is going to the Goodwill or any type of thrift store. I think it's because I look at all of these blogs and websites that consist of re-doing things, and creating new things. I love finding old frames that I can make into something, I love finding old knick-knacks that I can easily transform into something beautiful.

Since I bought a new Coach purse a couple weeks ago, along with new running shoes, and new clothes before that (yes, I needed the clothes for work), I made a promise to my sweet Lovey, that I would for 1 month not buy anything. That includes eating out everyday, pretty much anything other than groceries and stuff we need. We are really trying to save money. And thank goodness, I would say Mike is more of a saver than a spender. At the time that I made this promise, I was thinkin' "Sure, I can handle this...no problem". But honestly, it's been hard. And it's my fault for putting myself in situations that tempt me. It's like an alcoholic going to a bar...they will be tempted if they are trying to stay sober. Why do I even go to stores (Goodwill), if I am going to be tempted?

Tonight, Denise is coming over to our house for "Craft night". I think she's going to work on Scrapbooking, and I on the other hand, have a few ideas to use some old frames and create something with ribbon and paint. Lastnight, I decided to venture in the Gallatin Goodwill where I was so tempted, it made me antsy. I found a beautiful Bronze framed cross picture that had to be from Home Interiors for $4.99. I found several plates that I thought would be lovely to get creative with for like .99 each, and a kitchen cart that I would have died to of painted for $9.99. BUT....since I made a promise to my Lovey, I put it all back AFTER calling and texting him. But really, why couldn't I have just realized that a promise is a promise and not begged him? It just shows that when you're addicted to something, you're willing to put reality to the side. Although, all of that stuff equaled out to be less than 20 Bucks...20 Bucks could have gone towards his new truck, or the house payment, or just something we really needed.

One of these days, I will be able to kick this habit....or maybe I'm just destined to be this way. After all, I am a woman. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love the new look of your blog!!! so cute and so you! BTW...I feel your pain about shopping except my addiction at the current moment is looking for stuff to use in my future classroom....I am trying to find things that are cheap but functional. Good Luck on trying to abstain from Goodwill, they have such great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete